Sunday, November 13, 2011

Moving the Minister/Priest/Pastor


·         My friend and colleague Stafford Moses  noted the way clergy resist being moved by their bishop – and wondered why.

He received a really useful response from Jennie Liebenberg

I always thought it was because clergy are human, thus can't have ALL the gifts needed in a parish... so they give all that they are for however many years to their parish, then the bishop sees that the parish has grown in certain aspects and now needs a priest with different gifts to equip them further. And similarly, there's another parish that could grow further into the fullness of Christ by YOUR leadership”.

2 comments:

Wessel Bentley said...

Cynical me says, "If only these were the reasons ministers were moved, but I somehow don't think so, hence resistance".

Steve Hayes said...

I agree with Wessel. I knew a parish that was too lively, so the bishop put a dead priest there to kill it.