Monday, January 03, 2011

A Perfect Pass

There is nothing to beat the combination of a long winding mountain pass, an empty road, and a motorcycle.

Today I was blessed with the Huisriver Pass. It lies on the R62, ten kilometers before Calitzdorp. Come over a rise and this pass descends to the valley floor of the Huis River. It has a drop on the right into a valley that sweeps away towards cloud-covered mountains.

This is a road with long sweeping corners, both left and right, punctuated by short bursts of straight road. Take a deep breath, move forward on the bike, and change down a gear or two. Then lean into the corner, taking care to sweep from the edge of the road to the centre. Accelerate through the corner and look across the corner towards the next bend.

Awesome!
Sent via my BlackBerry

1 comment:

Kate said...

I found you from Long Hollow. I love your site. I’m going to poke around a little bit, but don’t worry I’ll put everything back where I found it!!