Wednesday, June 09, 2010

Silence

Abba Arsenius prayed 'Lord, lead me in the way of salvation.' And he heard a voice saying, 'Arsenius, flee from men and you will be saved.'

In 394 Arsenius, the teacher of the Emperor’s sons, left the palace of the Emperor Tbeodosius 1 and sought the guidance of Abba John the Dwarf. He became an anchorite near Petra in Scetis, eventually living in silence on the mountain of Troe, where he died in 449. Here was a man who had become so overwhelmed by the noise of life that he became silent.

I understand his need. Because I have become overwhelmed by the ‘noise’ of life. I have fled the noise of words, and blogs, and facebook, and twitter. And I have needed to be silent. So there has been nothing written.... no not quite true because I did write one evening but chose to delete it.

So bear with me. I might return.

3 comments:

Delme Linscott said...

Hey Pete
Understand your need for silence. Thats why when I go on leave I always leave the phone/emails behind.
We look forward to hearing from you again.
Delme

Barbara said...

I understand that need for silence myself. But you are a gifted, inspirational writer, so I hope you return soon!

Dion Forster said...

Hey Pete,

I miss your posts, but I support your need for silence!

Until you post again!

Much love,

D