Friday, October 24, 2008

Never Again




I will not travel this road again. For the past seven yearsI have driven the road from my home to the school every school day - twice. Today is my youngest daughter's Valedictory. Amy has completed her formal schooling, except for her final examinations. I am watching her with pride as she is awarded a music prize and honours for academic achievement. And my mind remembers her desperation not to be late for school [she never was], her quiet glare when I was late fetching her [I often was], her group of five good friends who hung together through the high school years, her outrage when she saw injustice... Oh the memories are sweet. I am proud of this little girl who has grown into a dignified young woman. And I know that I will never travel this road again.

4 comments:

Gus said...

Wow!

As a new father what you have just said frightens me.

This bundle is growing too quickly right in front of my eyes.

bugs said...

And proud you should be, your girls are all incredible young woman!

And yes, i am with gus on this one!

Anonymous said...

I'll be experiencing the same emotions in a few short months when my youngest daughter graduates from high school. Sad, happy, proud, relieved, anxious, all at the same time. I'm wondering if I'll also feel very old, realizing it's my last time.

Anonymous said...

Congrats to Amy from both of us!