Tuesday, January 02, 2007

She is Gone!


My daughter is gone. Gone to be a teaching assistant at a boy’s primary school in Cheshire, England. And it is hard. Because despite the fact that I have tried to parent Jessie in a way that grows her independence, and nurtures her own thinking, it is still hard to see her take flight (literally).

So the new (Gregorian calendar) year brings its own experience of loss. But at the same time I want to see this as providing opportunities for growth. I want to discover myself as a better husband to my wife Jenny. And as a father who encourages all three of my daughters to continue to grow their own lives: I know that I will discover much as I watch Jessie grow under the tutelage of others. I already see her sister Lisa growing as she experiences University life. And Amy is no longer the ‘little sister’ as she discovers the joy of the interest of two male admirers.

My wish for all who read this site is that we can be challenged by the wise words of reknowned Buddhist teacher and writer Thich Nhat Hanh:
Listen deeply, nourish compassion, let go of anger, speak lovingly - and thus bring about transformation.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

HI Buddy
So I see she has gone! What can I say Shaun still has no idea what he wants to do. We know he has passed but we still have not got his marks. I just have no idea what you feel like, but I know you and Jen have done the best you could and she will not let you down.

Mark

mddraper@landbank.co.za

nakedpastor said...

our oldest son left last year. our next son will leave this year. then a daughter after that. it's a death every time!

Anonymous said...

Hey family...;)wow, the fledglings are testing out the airwaves, and none of us thought it would happen so fast. I can't tell you how many times iv heard moms saying to my mother that "well i suppose you've got to let go sometime"...what rot huh? no one ever lets go i don't think. I can't offer any words except those of a fledgling herself; our lives may be becoming full of...well ful of life. But it's hard for us too. And no matter how far away we are there is only one thing in the world that is a constant, and that is our family. No where else can we find the support and love that is unconditional and so neccessary to the survival of our newfound selves...;) there is no such thing as letting go; just changing the nature of how we hold on. Love you madly. Nix