Wednesday, August 18, 2010

A Meeting of Beliefs




I am sitting in a committee discussing belief. I am a member of the Doctrine, Ethics and Worship Committee - a standing committee of the Methodist Church of Southern Africa - charged with reflecting theologically on what it means to be Christian in our context. I am humbled to serve on this committee and aware that this is a position of sacred trust. One issue troubling our church at the moment is how to offer the love of Jesus to gay and lesbian people. We have divergent positions in our church, fuelled by deeply held convictions and passionate debate. My desire is to follow faithfully in the footsteps of Jesus. I want to do this with integrity and an unwavering commitment to the perspective of oppressed and marginalised people. Pray for me.

3 comments:

Delme Linscott said...

Praying for you Pete. I look forward to having coffee with you more regularly next year and talking through these issues.
Take care my friend,
Delme

Anonymous said...

Praying for you even though you posted this a week ago! I think if you followed your own advice, you did the right thing.

Thomas O. Scarborough said...

What role would you see the Body of Christ playing in this?